Dr Pliam was trained as a General, Cardiovascular and Thoracic Surgeon and worked as a clinical surgeon and researcher since 1977.
After serving in the United States Naval Airforce Reserve from 1956 to 1962, he attended the University of Minnesota as an undergraduate
and at the Minnesota Medical School from 1960 to 1964, completing a Surgical Internship at Minnesota Hospital in 1965. Subsequent surgical
training was received at Kings County Hospital in Brooklyn NY, Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston, The Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN,
the University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, and Children's Hospital, Boston MA. He was awarded a PhD degree in Physiology from DownState
Medical Center in 1970.
Dr Pliam has a significant record of accomplishments in surgery, performing or participating in over 5000 cardiac and major vascular surgeries
and hundreds of general surgical procedures. After 10 years in private surgical practice in Minneapolis, MN, he was appointed Chief of Cardiac
Surgery at Davies Hospital in Owensboro, KY where he inaugerated a new and succesful cardiac surgery program. Subsequently, he worked as a Cardiac
and Thoracic surgeon at Eisenhower Medical Center and the Heart Institute of the Desert in Palm Springs, CA. From 1990 until 2020 he worked in
Cardiac, Thoracic, Vascular and General Surgery at Seton Medical Center and several other hospitals in the San Francisco Bay Area. Throughout
his career he maintained an interest in clinical research. His bibliography includes over 50 papers (see below). He conceived of, wrote and
maintained a website for the San Francisco Heart Institute created online and downloadable cardiac surgical and percutaneous coronary intervention
software based on national experience using proven risk algorithms, under the mentorship of Dr. Richard Shaw.
1. Krellenstein DJ, Pliam MB, Vassalle M, Brooks CMC. Overdrive suppression of idioventricular pacemakers in isolated canine hearts. (abstract) Physiologist 1969;12:32.
2. Krellenstein DJ, Pliam MB, Vassalle M, Brooks CMC. Overdrive suppression of idioventricular pacemakers in isolated canine hearts. (abstract) Circulation 1969;40(Suppl III):126III.
3. Pliam MB. The Influence of the Sympathetic System on Overdrive Suppression of the Ventricular Pacemaker, submitted May, 1970 in partial fulfillment of the requirements for Ph.D. degree in the Department of Physiology, School of Graduate Education, State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY. PhD Thesis
4. Schultz LS, Ferguson R, Pliam MB, Lillehei RC. In vivo normothermic retrograde coronary sinus perfusion in the non-working canine heart. (abstract) American College of Cardiology, February, 1971.
5. Schultz LS, Ferguson R, Pliam MB, Lillehei RC. Venous drainage during retrograde perfusion in the in vivo fibrillating normothermic canine heart. (abstract) American College of Cardiology, February, 1971.
6. Schultz LS, Ferguson R, Pliam MB, Motsay G, Lillehei RC. Massive cortico-steroids and cardiac anoxia. (abstract) Society of Thoracic Surgeons, January 1972.
7. Schultz LS, Ferguson R, Pliam MB, Lillehei RC. Retrograde coronary perfusion in dogs following induced anoxia. (abstract) Society of University Surgeons, February, 1972.
8. Schultz LS, Ferguson R, Pliam MB, Lillehei RC. Retrograde perfusion as an approach to myocardial revascularization. (abstract) European J Surg Res 1972;3:343.
9. Pliam MB, Krellenstein DJ, Vassalle M, Brooks CMC. Influence of the sympathetic system on the pacemaker suppression which follows overdrive. Circulation 1973;48:313-21.
10. Krellenstein DJ, Pliam MB, Brooks CMC, Vassalle M. On the mechanism of idioventricular pacemaker suppression by fast drive. Circulation Research 1974;35:923-34.
11. Pliam MB and ReMine WH. Further evaluation of total pancreatectomy". Arch Surg 1975;110:506-12.
12. Pliam MB, Krellenstein DJ, Vassalle M, Brooks CMC. The influence of norepinephrine, reserpine and propranolol on overdrive suppression. J Electrocardiol 1975;8:17-24.
13. Pliam MB, Adson MA, Foulk WT. Conventional splenorenal shunts. Arch Surg 1975;110:588-93.
14. Pliam MB, McGoon DC, Tarhan S. Failure of heparinized autologous whole blood transfusion to reduce bank blood requirements in open heart surgical patients without profound hemodilution. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1975;70:338-43.
15. Nelson RM, Vana M, Pliam MB, Depp DA, Miller H, McQuarrie LG, McKella K, Gibson GR. Current assessment of risks for open heart surgery. (abstract) Societe International de Chirurgie, 27th Congress, Kyoto, Japan, September 3, 1977.
16. Pliam MB, Krellenstein DJ, Brooks CMC, Vassalle M. Norepinephrine, potassium and overdrive suppression of ventricular pacemakers. Basic Res Cardiol 1977;72:34-45.
17. Pliam MB, McGough EC, Ruttenberg HD. Right atrial ball valve thrombus. A complication of central venous alimentation in an infant: diagnosis and successful surgical management of a case. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 1979;78:579-82.
18. Vassalle M, Krellenstein DJ, Pliam MB, Brooks CMC. Potassium regulated humoral transmission of overdrive suppression. J Molec Cell Cardiol 1977;9:921-31.
19. Krellenstein DJ, Pliam MB, Brooks CMC, Vassalle M. Factors affecting overdrive suppression of idioventricular pacemakers and associated potassium shifts in the dog. J Electrocardiol 1978;11:3-10.
20. Schultz LS, Ferguson R, Pliam MB, Motsay GJ, Lillehei RC. Retrograde perfusion as a method for myocardial revascularization. Eur Surg Res 1976;8:358-76.
21. Lynch MF, Hammond C, Schmidt WR, Garamella JJ, Bilgutay A, Kelly WD, Arnar O, Pliam MB. Kinetic heart pumping. Minn Med 1984;67:17-9.
22. Pliam MB. Temporary left heart assist for open heart surgery patients. Clinical experience from a community hospital and review of the literature. Minn Med 1986;69:341-52.
23. Pliam MB. The increasing importance of the internal mammary artery as a bypass conduit in coronary operations. Med Staff News, North Memorial Medical Center, Robbinsdale, Minnesota 1986;17:12-3.
24. Pliam MB. Importance of internal mammary artery as a bypass conduit in coronary bypass operations. Med Staff Newsletter, Unity Medical Center, July, 1986.
25. Pliam MB, Zapolanski A. Retrocaval routing of the right internal thoracic artery. Ann Thorac Surg 1993;56:181-2.
26. Pliam MB, Sternlieb JJ. Intramyocardial dissecting hematoma: an unusual form of subacute cardiac rupture. J Card Surg 1993;8:628-37.
27. Zapolanski A, Pliam MB, Bronstein MH, et al. Bilateral internal thoracic artery for coronary revascularization in patients with left main coronary artery disease. (abstract) Society of Thoracic Surgeons, August, 1993.
28. Zapolanski A, Pliam MB, Bronstein MH, et al. Arterial graft use in true emergency coronary bypass surgery. (abstract) Society of Thoracic Surgeons, August, 1993.
29. Pliam MB. Do standard risk scores apply to community hospitals? Heartbeat, San Francisco Heart Institute Bulletin, Spring, 1994.
30. Pliam MB, Cohen M, Cheng L, Spaenle M, Bronstein MH, Atkin TW. Pituitary adenomas complicating cardiac surgery: summary and review of 11 cases. J Cardiac Surg 1995;10:101-108.
31. Zapolanski A, Pliam MB, Bronstein MH, et al. Arterial conduits in emergency coronary artery surgery. J Cardiac Surg 1995;10:32-39.
32. Shaw RE, Myler RK, Murphy MC, Pliam MB, Ryan C. Prediction of late cardiac event following successful coronary balloon angioplasty (abstract) 3rd International Congress on Heart Failure - Mechanisms and Management, Geneva Switzerland, May 21-25, 1995. J Heart Failure 1995;2:1022.
33. Pliam MB, Shaw, RE, Zapolanski A. Comparative analysis of coronary surgery risk stratification models. J Invas Cardiol 1997;9:203-22.
34. Zapolanski A, Pliam M, Fishman N, Shaw R. Progresos recientes en los resultados de la cirugia de by-pass coronario en octogenarios.
35. Zapolanski A, Pliam M, Fishman N, Shaw R. Estratificacion de Riesgo quirurgico en cirugia coronaria utilizando cinco modelos predictivos de mortalidad hospitalaria.
36. Zapolanski, A, Pliam, MB. Less invasive heart surgery. J Invas Cardiol, 1999;11:177-83.
37. Pliam MB, Zapolanski, A, Ryan, CJ, Shaw RE, Mengarelli L. Recent improvement in results of coronary bypass surgery in octogenarians. J Invas Cardiol, 1999;11:281-9.
38 Ryan C, Shaw R, Pliam M, Zapolanski AJ, Murphy M, Valle HV, Myler R. Coronary heart disease in the Filipino an Filipino-American population: risk factors and outcomes of intervention. J Invasive Cardiol
. 2000 Mar;12(3):134-9.
39. Shaw RE, Pliam MB, Gawrit N, McLaughlin S. Making cardiac databases more clinically useful by combining “Roll Forward” update programming with scanning technology. JACC 2000;35(2): 560A. (abstract)
40. Ryan C, Shaw RE, Zapolanski A, Murphy MC, Millhouse F, Pliam MB, Mengarelli L. Risk factors, ethnicity and type of treatment predict need for late repeat revascularization in patients presenting for treatment of coronary artery disease. JACC 2000;35(2):552A.
41 Shaw RE, McKay CR, Pliam MB, Brindis RG. Development of an initial model for risk adjustment of mortality following coronary intervention: results from the ACC-NCDR registry. (abstract ) Accepted as a poster presentation by the American Heart Association for presentation at the 73rd Annual Scientific Sessions). 2000.
42. Ryan CM, Shaw RE, Zapolanski A, Murphy MC, Millhouse FG, Pliam MB, Mengarelli L, Pomerantseva Anna. The relationship of ethnicity to risk factor presentation, therapeutic outcomes and late events in patients presenting for treatment of coronary artery disease. (abstract) Accepted for oral presentation by Dr. Ryan at the 73rd Annual Scientific Sessions of the American Heart Association, 2000.
43. Ryan C, Shaw RE, Millhouse F, Zapolanski A, Yap A, Lee L, Khoury L, Cavanaugh M, Pliam MB. The role of ethnicity in outcomes after coronary artery intervention: how important are clusters of risk factors?
44. Zapolanski A, Pliam MB, Shaw RE, Mengarelli LM. Extensive revascularization on the beating heart: early results in patients receiving four to seven bypass grafts. Heart Surgery Forum, 2003.
45. Zapolanski A, Pliam MB, Shaw RE, Mengarelli LM. Diabetics undergoing beating heart surgery have better outcomes compared with conventional coronary artery bypass surgery. Heart Surgery Forum, 2003
46. Yap A, Baladi N, Allman G, Zapolanski A, Pliam MB, Shaw RE. Influence of body size on outcomes of off-pump coronary artery bypass surgery. Heart Surgery Forum, 2005; 8(3):148-153.
47. Zapolanski A, Pliam MB, Ley J, Mengarelli L. Reduction in neurological injury with evolution to OPCAB: A single Team’s Experience. 2005 (pending publication).
48. Pliam MB, Zapolanski A, Anastassiou, P, Ryan CJ, Manila LL, Shaw RE. Influence of prior coronary stenting on the outcome of isolated coronary artery bypass surgery. Innovations (Phila). 2007 Sep;2(5):217-25.
49. Ryan C, Garvey C, Pliam MB. Objective assessment of a community hospital cardiac rehabilitation program. October, 2013 (abstract)
50. Garvey C, Pliam MB, Rigler J, Hazlehurst T, Lew R, Yeary J. Impact of Pulmonary Rehabilitation on Cost of Care: One Center’s Experience. Poster presentation AATS November 2012
51. Ryan C, Garvey C, Pliam MB, Constantino R, Zierke J, Cavalieri M, Rigler J, Bashour T. Asian Americans in a Cardiac Rehabilitation Setting. June 26, 2014 (pending publication)
52. Shaw RE, Zapolanski A, Korver KK, Pliam MB, Mengarelli LM. Beating Heart Surgery Reduces Utilization of Blood Products in Coronary Revascularization. Poster presentation at STS Annual Meeting, 2002.
53. Zapolanski A, Korver KK, Pliam MB, Shaw RE, Mengarelli LM. Mitral valve surgery via a right anterior min-thoracotomy with central aortic cannulation and no endoscopic assistance. Presented at Fourth Annual Scientific Meeting of the International Society for Minimally Invasive Cardiac Surgery, June 27-30, 2001, Munich, Germany. Heart Surg Forum
. 2002;5 Suppl 4:S445-53.
54. Instruction Manual for Cardiac Surgical Risk Modeler Software, 2009, San Francisco Heart & Vascular Institute, Seton Medical Center, Daly City California
55. Pliam MB. A C# Class to Perform Arithmetic on Complex Numbers. 2007, Codeproject Article
56. Pliam MB. A Simple Java Console Interface From Scratch. 2017, Codeproject Article
57. Pliam MB. Recursive Descent Parser With Functions and Variables. 2017, Codeproject Article
58. Pliam MB. Origins of the Pliam Family In America. 1998
59. Pliam MB. Origins of the Mankoff Family In Russia and the American Middle West. 1998
60. Pliam MB. An Enhanced Mathematical Expression Recursive Descent Parser In C#. 2018, Codeproject Article
61. Pliam MB. A Programmable Desktop HTML Help Builder. 2018, Codeproject Article